24 de maio de 2013


Burt Stein: Joe Smith came to me and said, “We think Warren needs a little break. He’s talking about Hawaii. How would you like to go with him?” Warren and I were pretty close, and if anybody from the record company was going anywhere with him, it was usually me. […] Of course, every afternoon we spent hours in the cocktail lounge – to the point where Warren got friendly with the waitress. One day he says, “A friend of the waitress has a cabin up in the mountains. She’s off tomorrow and she’ll take us there. We can get a little mountain experience.” The three of us get in my rental car. We’re going to spend the night up in the mountains and come back the next day. So, we’re driving through a sugarcane field and Warren’s sitting next to me. The girl is in the backseat. I ask how long before we get up there. She says, “Oh, ninety minutes.” She goes on to say, “I’m sure my friend won’t mind if we break in.” I say, “Oh, shit. Warren, I can see it now. A telegram to Joe Smith: ‘Dear Joe, please send lawyers and money.’” And, Warren says, “Joe, send lawyers, guns and money.” And the I say, “Warren, we’re not going up there.” He says, “You’re right. Back to the bar.” So, we went back to the cocktail lounge. On two cocktail napkins, he wrote “Lawyers, guns and money.”

(I’ll sleep when I’m dead – The dirty life and times of Warren Zevon, Crystal Zevon)