27 de junho de 2011

:

"[...] Novoselic was in California recently to play a couple of songs with Foo Fighters, a one-off gig. Grohl, Novoselic and Pat Smears (a current Foo and former guitarist with Nirvana) did a run-through of the set list. After that, they found themselves alone, with time to kill.

"Krist is on bass. Pat's on guitar. I'm on drums," says Grohl (and ridiculously, at this point, my heart starts to thump). "Krist says, 'You wanna run through some oldies?' Me and Pat look at each other. I mean, that's something I've never considered before. I was, like [queasily], 'OK.'"

Which song did you…?

"Krist says, 'Fuck it, let's do "Smells Like Teen Spirit".' And Pat starts playing, and we kick into it. I haven't played that drum beat in 17 years."

How did it feel?

"It was crazy. It was like… a ghost. It was heavy."

Grohl wants to tell a joke – his instinct is to defuse any heaviness – and I want to ask a question. "Our studio manager was the only guy there," says Grohl, going first, "and when we'd finished he was like, 'Hey, you should record that.'" Then I ask my question. Did anybody sing?

"Nobody sang," says Grohl. [...]"